Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Thank You 2016, Hello 2017 ...

  2016 went by so incredibly fast. It seems like just yesterday I was writing a blog about my resolutions for 2016. Last year was very good to our family. We had highs and we had some lows, but I find that the bumps along the way teach us so much more than the smooth sailing parts. I'm always so greatful for the pot holes in life. It's a great reminder of how extremely fortunate my life is the majority of the time. It's very rewarding to look back on a difficult time and see how much I learned from that situation. 
  I feel like December was only about 2 weeks long. It is so sad how fast the Holiday season goes by. We had an amazing Christmas. We were able to see all sides of the family throughout the month and Austyn got an extended Chritmas break due to SNOW DAYS!!!!! We all got extremely spoiled as usual for Christmas. The kids enjoyed their Elf returning for a month of Hide and Seek and funny shinanagins. I made the kids a scavenger hunt while we went and looked at Christmas lights. They had to find things like a penguin, nutcracker, snowman, etc. It was so fun, it's going to be a yearly tradition. We also enjoyed the hunt in our jammies with Hot Coco! 
  This last month was filled with the usual family outings and events. The kids were invited to participate in a Chritsmas program at my Brother and Sister-in-laws Church. They loved it and were the most adorable Angel and Shepard there. Since I didn't get to make the kids Halloween costumes I enjoyed making their costumes for the play. 

This year we picked out our biggest tree yet. And we still had room to go. Every year gets better and better with the kids. They now have opinions and prefer different things. I love it. Our poor tree didn't do so well neighboring the woodstove. I was so nervous about the tree going up inflames that we promptly threw it out the morning of the 26th. So scary!

For my Birthday we went to Sisters to eat at my favorite place and play in the snow. We also got a few antique shops in too! 

We went for a random Craig's List trip to La Pine where we found the absolute best place I've ever experienced for sledding. The conditions were perfect and the hill was just the right size for the kids. We had the best time. Also snuck some antiquing in on this trip too. 
He took a header into the snow

Another fun thing we were able to do on Christmas break was GOING ICE SKATING! It was the best time ever. Such an easy and close activity. We will definitely be doing that again soon. Quade was so good it was mind blowing. He didn't ever hang on to the wall and he ran across the ice like he'd been doing it for years. Austyn was a natural too. I'm am still so proud of those two. 

Our last big decision in 2016 was to get a ....... PUPPY! We actually were not looking, wanting, or even remotely set up for a puppy, but the stars aligned and a sweet little puppy fell right in our laps. Or should I say the kids' laps. Her name is Gem. She is 2 months old now. She is 1/2 Rottweiler, 1/4 German Shepard and 1/4 Golden lab. Jordan and I had talked extensively about what our next dog would be and we both agreed that a mutt would fit our lifestyle really well. With all of KODAs health issues we thought maybe a mutt would be a bit more hardy in the health department. We have started her training just as we did with KODA, in hopes that she will take after her in every way except her smell, her fetching addiction, and her health issues. The kids are loving her and it makes me so happy to see them just sit and hold her. 

Austyn is doing amazing in school. She just got her first report card and she met and exceeded all categories. She was praised for being honest, kind, and respectful. I felt like we got quite the pat on the back as parents! 
Austyn was helping pick up sticks after the ice storm

Quade has become quite the comedian lately. I'm not sure if I've ever been around a 3 (almost 4) year old with as much personality as he has. He is so bright and quick it amazes me. 
Quade playing in the box from a Christmas present. There's a present you wouldn't want to return 😉

Jordan finished his last ODP Module. Now is able to take shifts and act as the Captain. He is very relieved to be done with studying for a while. He has started his old truck to old truck transformation. If only there were more time in the day for him to work and complete a project he starts. He is constantly getting pulled off HIS projects to help do other things. But he's always a good sport about it and loves helping anyone do anything. He has started the firefighter fitness challenge again. He always does such a good job with staying with the goals he sets. He is such and inspiration to me. And he also is competing in the Firefighter Stair Climb in Seattle again. 

And as for me, summer break can't get here fast enough. I got a little reminder of how much I enjoy Austyn being home everyday. It's not that I want it to be summer for the weather, but I just like hanging with my kiddos. They're so much fun. I'm still experimenting with different treatments for my back pain. So far yoga really helps relieve the sciatica pain. Slowly but surely I'm sure I'll get it back under control. I just need to keep a positive attitude, and stay motivated to become a better me. It sounds so easy when I write it down, but when it comes right down to it, it's tough. Especially to find the right help. 

I know 2017 will be an amazing year for us. I'm excited to see what lies ahead of us! I love the new year. I always feel like it's a reset button. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I hope this year is the best year you've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment