Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Best Four Legged Buddy . . .

  A few months ago I began to notice Koda (our dog) getting slower and stiffer to get up and down, especially if she had been doing something extra that day. I just thought that she was getting older. Then I started noticing Koda getting thinner and her coat looking raggy and she just didn't have her usual energy. So we decided to take her to the vet and get things checked out. We had just had her in for her annual exam in April. We went and she had already lost 3 pounds. The vet wanted to take blood and do a chest X-ray to check her heart. She has always had a heart mermur, so she wanted to make sure the heart wasn't enlarged. Everything came back normal to the vets dismay. She said with a dog of her age (8) and her health record (not good) she doesn't like to see these tests come back normal. She said cancer is usually the culprit in these situations:( She asked to do further testing to see where the cancer is, but we declined. And that was that. As we all know cancer is ....... (I can't even describe it)   The vet said to give it time and when she starts having more symptoms we can bring her back in and decide on some sort of comfort measures. Since the vet doesn't know where the cancer is, she couldn't elaborate on what to expect. 
  I got Koda when I was leaving for Kalamath Falls for college. I took her everywhere with me and she has always been an amazing dog. Yes, she has had quite the stent of health issues in her wonderful dog life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. She kept me company while I was way from home by myself and I will forever be thankful for that. We spent many nights sleeping (or not) together because we were home sick and our neighbors were loud and scary. I know that she loves me. I will never have another dog that will live up to her. She was my best buddy when I needed it, and I was hers:) She is the most loyal dog I've ever seen. Sadly as we've added to our family she has been rooted out a bit. She now sleeps in the garage in her heated dog house (sometimes with her own special heater on extra cold nights) instead of right by my side in the house. I now feel more guilty than ever for this. 
  So for now we are just holding our breath hopeing and praying that the vet is wrong. But I knew what was going on before I made the appointment. That's why I made it. Mothers intuition I suppose. I'm unprepared and uncertain of the future with her. I'm not sure what to expect 1 year, 4 months, the unknown is very scary for me. And to think we are talking about a dog here. We will just deal with what's thrown at us and hope for the best. Koda has three people in this world that she lives and breaths for, my Dad, Jordan, and myself. She literally could care less about anyone else. And I can tell you that all three of us are heart broken already. I'm not sure I've ever seen Jordan get so emotional when I told him what the vet said. We were both very sad campers:( I can't even imagine what it will be like when "the DAY" comes. 
  I hate writing sad blogs, but for some reason it makes me feel better. Please keep Koda in your thoughts and prayers to help keep her happy and peaceful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment